Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Progress

We have three classrooms set up and plugged in (I've only got to go through and rename 5 computers). I'm pretty excited to see how the teachers will use these tools at the students' fingertips. We've got the whole gamut of teachers, from those who I know will barely use them and only so the students can type assignments to those who I anticipate will come up with creative and useful ways to push the envelope.

When we get all 5 labs up and running with this sort of "mostly useful" image, I'll be able to work on hacking together a comprehensive network management system, and having our workstations interoperate with the Microsoft network more seamlessly.

Some tools I'm thinking I'll have to figure out are Samba, LDAP, Kerberos, SystemImager, Sabayon, and Lockdown, and of course I'll need to learn more about GNOME (I've already warned Jorge Castro I'm going to bug him about this if/when I get the time to breathe).

I'm also pretty excited (and sometimes nervous, I'll be honest) about the Ubuntu presentation I'm giving for my LUG. I may be able to post video of that in case anyone is interested, I'm going to tape it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you, mate. Progress indeed...

Sounds like you have a lot of ideas and plans for where to go with this - good luck with it.

1:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home