Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Random Updates

CINLUG Meeting Tonight

I will be giving a short 5-minute spiel on Ubuntu at the CINLUG meeting tonight on behalf of Canonical/Ubuntu. 5 minutes is a short time to introduce such a massive topic, but I'll do my best.

Ghost Issues

This has been a great excuse for me to jump into SystemImager and see if I can figure it out. So far, I've been able to create an image, but had no luck autoinstalling it. Any SystemImager gurus out there?

Network Management Stuff

On top of SystemImager, I've got to think about how am I going to manage all kinds of stuff on the network (updates, desktops, printers, classroom management, etc.) and I've been getting headaches. I've decided to just tackle one issue at a time, so I'm going to concentrate on understanding SystemImager.

In the meantime, I'd like to gather as much information about the stuff I'm sort of forcedly trying not to think about so that when I have the time to think about it I'll have some good resources. In that spirit, I've shot off an e-mail or two asking people who're in similar situations as me what sort of systems they're using to manage their networks.

If you're reading this and can offer me some advice, please do so.

Beryl on Edgy

I read the official Beryl Project Ubuntu Edgy Installation instructions here, and they aren't kidding: It's simple.

You can get it up and running without jumping into a config file or command line at all! Just use the graphical equivalent commands in Synaptic when they say to do certain things like "edit /etc/apt/sources.list" or "apt-get ...". Of course they document it as modifying text files and dropping to command lines because it's simpler to explain it that way...

 

Well, that's all I can think of for now, I hope you're all doing well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home